The British Home and Hospital for Incurables, which is the full name of the charity, was founded completely on voluntary donations. The very first committee in 1861 raised £2,500 to purchase a home in Clapham where the charity was based for 30 years.
In 1894 due to high demand and the need to find a more suitable home, the then Chairman, Mr F Bevan, instigated the fundraising for the purchase, construction of and then the move to the current site in Crown Lane, Streatham, where the charity has now been for over 100 years.
When The British Home was first established, it was clear that it was to be a home and not a hospital. However, because the residents needed medical care, a strong team of medical staff and professionals ‘signified their readiness to render their gratuitous services to the British Home for Incurables’.